Friday, January 21, 2011

Black Bean Brownies

I've heard of using strange things in making baked goods. Such as Tofu Pumpkin Pie, photographed as the middle pie. That recipe came from "The American Vegetarian Cookbook" by Marilyn Diamond. I love this cookbook for it's resourceful use of non-dairy and non-animal products. There are countless ways to include alternative options in your daily meals, and Diamond does a great job of letting us know what she has to offer.
  
The recipe below is the latest in our kitchen this evening. I have to give credit to a customer at the co-op where I'm employed, for giving me this recipe from around town, I guess. I've gotten around to making it, six months later.




1 1/2 c. cooked black beans or 15 oz. can, rinsed and drained.
1/4 c. cocoa
1/2 c. egg whites or 2 eggs
1/2 c. blue agave nectar or honey
1/2 c. self-rising flour  or 1/2 c. flour with 1/4 t. baking soda and 1/2 t. baking powder
2 T. vanilla
4 T.  mini choc chips or  semi-sweet regular choc chips.
in a blender puree until smooth the beans, eggs, agave and vanilla.
add cocoa, flour, b. powder.  blend til smooth.  throw in the chips and chop til coarse.
pour in 8/8 papered  or greased and floured pan.  bake 350 for about 20 min or until
pick comes out cleanish.
-----

As the winter goes, you know, these things happen: Broken Dish, just as you're getting out the door. Well, lesson learned, in any case; don't try to carry too many things! Ah.... Anyhow, I had one crunchy bite of these before chucking them. I used the non-self rising flour, and I think that affected the taste. I didn't really enjoy them as much. I'll try it again, when I have a few other, different ingredients. Overall, you wouldn't know they were inclusive of beans. I think it could also be good to try chunks of white chocolate for a different flavor. 

No comments: