Friday, April 1, 2011

What Menomonie Needs

I have continuously posted on my blog some fuzzy food photos, raved about Balsamic Vinegar and Steak and potatoes. I can do all that. I can make my breakfast, I can, but sometimes, I am tired of turning on the stove and mixing up pancake batter. What is really needed here, is a breakfast spot. Breakfast, wake up, go down the street and eat a well balanced breakfast. I know such a thing was available at one time. It was really, only four blocks away from where I live on Main Street, though it has been about a decade ago since it was open.

I speak on behalf of the hungover students, the old men who like to gab about the weather, the farmer who wants to sell his/her eggs to be featured at such a place. I speak on behalf of the writers (me) who want to get out of their house, get a couple eggs and put molasses and almond butter on their toast with a side of fresh fruit, and listen to inspiring talks among the old ladies who want to get their garden planted in the ground soon.

I am entitled to my opinion. I know Menomonie has coffee shops. I am not talking about having another coffee shop, but of course coffee is the way to go. I'm talking about having that greasy spoon of gravy and sausage biscuits, delicious hot cereal, and the company of strangers in an intimate setting where there's an airy type feel to the place, situated over the lake, (fingers crossed) close to downtown, and clean and new, and well loved and maintained. I want a place that has that hippie feel, but is run by professionals.

I want to hear live piano, and I want the place to close at one thirty, and I want to reopen at four to catch the happy hour crowd for some craft brews and live jazz. Maybe that's a big city dream, but anyone can hack at the tunes, or they can flip on the ipod, or their ipod. It's all about bringing out the essence of this community.

There are some cafes, there are places that have come and gone. It may not be the right time to start a new business, but it could be worth considering.

3 comments:

Martha W. said...

Wasn't that called something like the Blue Moon Café? Maybe the Co-op or the Raw Deal should have a breakfast menu. But they might not attract real locals, not being exactly in the Greasy Spoon category.

If you start a business, be sure to have Beer Cheese soup on the menu every day. You could become a famous landmark.

20" Kitchen said...

Thanks for your comment and encouragement, Martha! A group of friends are constantly discussing the idea. I know MMFC could pull off a Breakfast no problem, but it comes down to staffing and resources. They're having a Mother's day Brunch worth considering on May 8th! Gail the Deli manager was actually a proprietor in that restaurant, I believe. She's an amazing lady!

Thanks again. :0) Kate

Kim said...

It is strange. It is perhaps the strangest thing about the college town that is Menomonie - no decent local breakfast spot. And you know I'm not talking Perkins, either.

Perhaps a bigger question is why won't enough people eat there to support one?