Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Residency Requirement

I'm feeling like the biggest jerk in the Great Lakes region tonight. My fried fish dinner was a flop. I've got a plate of undercooked Pollock filets, and some freezer burnt mixed vegetables. I don't know where I went wrong, but I think I suck at frying foods, especially fish.

I know the batter was good-- 1/2 cup wheat flour, 1/2 cup milk (or less), 1/4 cup (or so) beer, 2 Tsp Baking Powder, pinch of Garlic Salt, dash or two of Lawry's seasoned salt, and some italian seasoning, and a little cinnamon. I derived this from reading a few websites.

I fried it in High Heat Safflower oil, and I let it go for a long time in the pan. The batter was a great consistency and taste. I just think I need more practice. I think I'll be more patient with it in the future, and probably, I'll bake it. I'm accustomed to fish that's more flaky when done, versus flaked batter and soft fish. I'll have to plow through the rest of this plate,with my "ghetto" tartar sauce. It's mayo and mustard, although I did use Vegenaise (grapeseed style) and Sierra Nevada Porter Mustard.

I hope I can practice more so that someday you'll be drooling over my fish fry. For now, I'll enjoy the half cooked fish and 'tasty' mixed vegetables.

Now I know the ultimate requirement for living in Wisconsin.... delicious fish fry.

No comments: