Sunday, February 27, 2011

Miso soup, your so soup

Yum. I've never attempted to use the fermented brown rice product known as Miso. It's amazing. It's easy, and makes soup, a snap. it's similar to boullion, but better. I put my "northern girl" spin on it, by adding celery and carrots, because they were available, and sad and lonely. It was a good time to quarter cremini mushrooms and allow their beauty and flavor to meld into the soup.

I started by frying a shallot with garlic, and then I heated a bit of water and sunk two tablespoons of Miso into a small coffee cup. I whisked the Miso in a large pot, and added the shallot and garlic. I then tossed in about two cups of cremini mushrooms. I cut up about three stalks of celery and about three carrots. I like to slice them at a bias so they're more attractive in the leftover stage.

I tossed all those vegetables in, and I let it cook for about 20 minutes over a medium heat, covering with filtered water. I added some powdered ginger, cinnamon (I guess a teaspoon or two), and I dropped in some Kelp leaves (particularly good for me). I dropped about a tablespoon of Sriracha hot chili sauce, and I let it cook another 20 minutes or so. At serving, I drizzled some toasted sesame oil across it, and it was outstanding!

There is a hotness that lingers, but it isn't a burn. I think it's one of my most favorite adventures yet!

No comments: