Sunday, January 30, 2011

Perfect French

French Toast, as previously offered last summer, maintains it's status as one of my most favorite breakfast foods. I always think of my brother when I make french toast, because I think we both love this tasty egg and bread combination. I sat doubtful as I ate it, that if I were vegan, I would be able to eat it. Alas, there is a recipe out there, and I'll be sure to share it with you, soon. I also came across a really neat recipe involving some butternut squash. I can't wait to try that one, also vegan.

Now, French Toast. Browsing the Internet and reaching beyond my usual websites, I found a writer's realm, and a food category. It is the inspiration for this recipe, as well as having a discounted loaf of Rye bread. The Rye bread,I think, was under baked, because it was very doughy and dense. I don't recall eating a lot of Rye Bread. Maybe it's just that way, dense and doughy. Regardless, I'll look forward to trying some thick cut Texas Toast in my future French Toast. And maybe a French Baguette will follow that. You really can't go wrong with any variety of bread you're thinking is beyond sandwich quality, but not quite ready for the birds.
I bet you could let the bread dry out for a few hours / overnight to get a crispier edge, as well as baking the finished french toast on a low setting.

I discussed the history of French Toast in an earlier blog posting. Have you searched through past articles? There is a lot of brain spew in this blog. I think that's why this post is so long. I've had coffee, and I have no plans this afternoon, so I'm posting:
Fresh Chilean Blueberries,
Homegrown Mountain of Sprouts,
and (real) butter,
Plus, a sweet Minneola Tangelo Honeybell
with Maple Syrup

New Orleans French Toast Recipe

Ingredients for New Orleans French Toast:

•2/3 cup milk

•2 tablespoons powdered sugar

•¼ tsp. salt

•1 tsp. finely grated orange peel

•3 eggs

•1 tablespoon flour

•2 tablespoons butter

•4 – 6 slices day-old bread

Directions for making New Orleans French Toast:

Beat the milk, powdered sugar, salt, grated orange peel, eggs, and flour together with a whisk until smooth and frothy. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a large non-stick skillet or on the surface of a large, non-stick griddle until the butter is melted – spread to cover the entire surface of the pan – careful not to burn the butter or you will need to start over.

Dip bread slices, one at a time, into the egg mixture. Do not let the bread soak in the mixture; just make sure that both sides of the bread are coated. Place in a single layer on the hot griddle or in the prepared skillet.
Cook over medium to medium-high heat until golden brown (1 – 2 minutes), flip to cook the other side.

Repeat with remaining bread slices adding remaining butter, as needed.
Serve warm spread with butter and sprinkled with powdered sugar or covered with jam or maple syrup, if desired. This particular recipe can also be served with fresh orange sections tossed with sugar and orange liqueur.

No comments: