Friday, January 7, 2011

Celeriac Coleslaw . . . homestyle, yo!

I'll now dub the Celery Root my favorite root vegetable for the moment. I have decided to use the monstrous flora to create a casserole / coleslaw.

 I subjected: one granny smith apple, cut into slices and then slivered; one half of a celery root ball - head - mass thingy, peeled and cut like the apple; purple cabbage (red if that's your preferred reference) again like the first two ingredients; red and green bell peppers,sliced and diced; a few mint leaves (try parsley!); several globs of mayo (try yogurt!); and a few splashes of lemon and/ or lime juice, oh, yeah, dijon (brown) mustard. I  recommend you seek out Sierra Nevada's Porter Mustard (featured several blogs back).

Stir it up, little darlin'. . . and let sit! I hear it's good with pork. You should add red onion, I didn't have any on hand, and I didn't feel so inclined. . . You can add some cumin. I bet that would be a nice offset to the sweetness of the Granny.  (Granny, you're so sweet, thanks for your cooking inspiration!).


Thanks for sharing my blog with your friends!


-kate

No comments: