Friday, January 14, 2011

Breakfast of Platter Proportions

I was forced to heave this monster onto the biggest plate I own. I went and got ambitious about my meal yesterday morning. Hey, I've been on vacation, and food is my hobby. I greatly enjoy sharing with you all!


PANCAKES
I started with the idea that I'd cook up some pancakes. I used Buckwheat pancake mix from Hodgson Mills. It's a decent mix. I may go with a multigrain mix next time, but I also could go with a gluten free option that a close friend whips up pretty quickly. I'll share with you when it comes time. Next, I want to discuss consistency. I specifically photographed the whisk dripping the batter so you know how it should feel, with egg, milk, and oil. The pancakes are under control, but not too thick, when you can lift the batter and have it drip, but not too quickly, or too slowly, and it is pourable. I was able to form nearly perfect cakes with this mix. I went by the box suggestions, and then added more milk. Any kind of milk is fine!

In pouring the pancake mix, gather a bunch to the edge of the bowl, and make sure your (cast iron or non-stick) pan is evenly heated. For non-stick, when water droplets bounce, you know your pan is good to go. And cast iron users, you get used to it. You become acquainted with your pan to a point that it talks back to you (sometimes you have to give it a time out in the oven.... ha ha ha)... Be sure you have enough oil. I mean, a generous helping. I used Canola (rapeseed) oil in this application, for it's economic value.

Let that pancake become formed, let it cook evenly, and once it stops bubbling so much, feel it out with your spatula. You can tell a pancake is ready to flip once it's firmed up, and then go for it! This may be a good time to toss some fruit (dried or fresh bluberries) or mini chocolate chips,or cinnamon, for taste and color. Let the pancake brown, and then it's ready. When you have a thicker pancake, you have to let it cook longer (duh).

BACON
I was at my Grandma's when I learned how to get the bacon exactly as I like it, chewy but crispy on the edges. I started with the pan hot, then I turned it way down and let it cook until it was well, done! I have found the finest bacon product in Farmland thick cut. I despise thin bacon! I want to really chew that pork. Yum. My senses were filled with delicious scents of hickory in frying the hickory smoked variety of Farmland bacon. It's usually a good price, too. For other cooking, like Calico beans, you can use (cheap) Corn King bacon. But watch that fat content, because it happens to be really fatty sometimes.

EGG
I fried up just one egg with this meal, because I knew the hashbrowns would be filling enough. I cooked the egg after the pancakes. I love my egg a little runny, because I love to slide my pancake or toast through the yolk. My Grandma makes her over-easy eggs turn pink by spooning the oil onto the yolk. This takes too long, so I flip it. And I did that a couple times, because I didn't want a warm egg yolk. I love a little pepper and salt on my eggs.

HASHBROWNS
Homemade Hashbrowns are simple. These happened to be holdovers from earlier in the week with dinner. I cut and sliced red and yellow potatoes and celery root, and steamed them up. They were great! For their debut as hashbrowns, they were great. Maybe I should not really call them hashbrowns, because they are really breakfast potatoes, in this manner. At Perkins, they are American fries. They're great, no matter what. Fry them with Canola oil. I added some Coriander for flavor, and it was, good. I have this mix of Bragg's Liquid Aminos and Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, which allows me to flavor lots of things, including these "hashbrowns."

I had some ketchup on hand, but didn't really eat a lot because all these flavors flowed together.

It was, delicious!

No comments: