Friday, July 16, 2010

Raspberry Harvest



First off, I'll explain why it's been awhile since I've posted! It's summertime, and that means people are more capable of roaming freely about the land, without restrictions. I've also been spending time in a friends' garden, enjoying a hands and knees in the dirt education. I love it!!


I spent two hours picking raspberries in the garden of Jan Erdman this week and filled this bowl completely full of her bountiful harvest! I could only dream of such an accomplishment.

I'll certainly be sharing what I've got here, I intend on them as Christmas presents. Out of the window (it's a novelty thing for me) and into the pantry! I'm proud that the latest batch was 'fruitful'. The last batch had only a fraction of the jars sealed.

This was a simple recipe: Four cups Raspberries, one package pectin, and 1 1/2 cups sugar. Boil jars, lids and bands for ten minutes, end pour through wide mouth canning funnel into jars. For jam, cook fruit, but don't overcook. You can mix the sugar and pectin and then add that two fruit, stir for several minutes. Then, pour fruit into jars and place lid firmly, band lightly. It can take up to two hours for the lids to pop. One of my favorite pasttimes is counting pops!

I've got bigger plans when I get my hands on my own harvests, maybe next year!

Thanks to Jan!

No comments: