Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer Time = Fresh Time


Returning from a weekend across the state where we enjoyed genuine jerk chicken assembled neatly with beans and rice, and washed it down with 'jammin' juice' (what was in it, I'll never know-- that's classified top secret), it's good to be back at the 20" Kitchen. Our breakfasts consisted of commercially, mass produced soggy eggs, although organic, I had a problem with that, hangover or not!


It was nice to take a bite from some roasted sweet corn, and homemade maple nut ice cream. The nicest thing, I think, was the compostable tableware. I'll have to take a pass on the compostable coffee cup, It lacked in sidewall strength, but the durability came from sitting at a picnic table in the woods, enjoying company of new folks!


Upon return to the beautiful Chippewa Valley, we made a quick run to the Co-op grocery for fresh foods and then to the conventional grocery store for fresh meat, it was easy for us to decide the theme of the week: Fresh.


With two at the chopping board, it is easy to toss together a salad of Green Leaf Lettuce, half a cucumber, an entire red bell pepper, a carrot, and several sweet delicious nuggets--- strawberries. Topping this salad was my favorite dressing from when I was a kid-- French. Lovely orange color and zesty taste!


After driving home three hours in a hot car, it was refreshing to eat some chicken, quickly stir fried with Bragg's liquid Amino's, several cloves of garlic, and of course. pepper. Thrown into a bowl and then topped with all salad ingredients, I dug in, immediately, and for the first time, beat my boyfriend to second helpings.


Sorry for the non-fresh photo-- as you can guess, I'll be eating a delicious leftover salad for lunch.

No comments: